- 20 uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 10 bacon strips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Butterfly the shrimp along the outside curves. Spread about 1 teaspoon cream cheese inside each shrimp. Cut bacon strips in half lengthwise; wrap a piece around each shrimp and secure with toothpicks.
- In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs. Coat the shrimp with flour; dip into eggs, then coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Discard toothpicks before serving.
Yield: 20 appetizers.